Translate

Sunday 12 February 2012

Cynical no longer. Hey, do you want another chip?

It’s 10.20pm, another cold night (-1 0) and this time it’s Helen and me, armed with our hot water bottles, walking, scouring, the streets of Coventry. They’re rather dark tonight as there’s a power cut which has set off a relay of shop alarms.  It’s rather eerie actually. Stuffing one of the filled bottles under my duffle coat (welcome warmth) we scout deserted car parks, back alleys and shop and church doorways. Where are all the homeless folks tonight? Let’s hope they’ve found somewhere warm for the night.

Ah yes, we spy them, sitting at a bus stop, two men hungrily eating chips. I look at them and think, ‘mmm, certainly look like good candidates for a hot water bottle.’ We approach them and offer our wares. One of them, let’s call him Wally, tells me his story:  ‘I was homeless in London for two years and then came to Coventry. ‘Val’*found me a place to live a year ago. Yes, Val is a wonderful lady. Here, d’you want a chip?’

 ‘Err, thank you, that’s very kind …’  I replied.

Wally went on to tell me how cynical he used to be - about life, how he had thought everyone was just out for themselves, not bothered about the likes of homeless men like him. He told me of how, after Val had helped him find a flat, he had attended a church centre in Coventry (wish I could remember the name) which had a volunteer scheme to support homeless people. He went there one day and sat down, overcome and weeping. How could people give up their spare time to help people like him? It was too much. Yes, he said, the friend with him was a little embarrassed at his tears, after all - a grown man crying. 

Wally is no longer cynical. ‘What a lovely thing’, he said, ‘giving out hot water bottles’ – but explained that he didn’t need one as he no longer lives on the streets.  ‘Here, have another chip!’ ‘

‘No thanks, Wally,’ I replied. ‘No more. You enjoy them now.’

‘Yes, I’ll be up at the Jesus Centre tomorrow,’ Wally added cheerfully.

‘Great to meet you, Wally,’ I said, ‘and, yes, I’ll tell Val how well you’re doing and that you’ve got that place still. I won’t be at the Jesus Centre tomorrow but will see you there sometime!’

*Val is a support worker at Coventry Jesus Centre, running a ‘bond scheme’ to help homeless people into secure housing.

2 comments:

Alison said...

Hi Julia,
Finally found a moment to read your blog and found it really encouraging, inspiring and enjoyable. Will try to have a regular look. Thank you for taking the time to share your life.

n0rma1 said...

Love this one - a glimpse of the kingdom. Like a grain of yeast that quietly works its way through all the dough....