Translate

Thursday 4 October 2012

A kind of evangelism – Trafalgar Square

Recently I took some time off work to go on EDP which stands for 'Eat, Drink and Pray. ‘Our church (Jesus Army) takes a double-decker with basic kitchen facilities into central London once a month for three consecutive evenings. Why? To love people by offering food, drink, prayer and friendship and bringing the good news that Jesus offers new life to all. It's an early hours job, starting around 9pm and finishing around 2-3am. Worth it? Most definitely yes. 


Trafalgar Square, 10.30pm, Friday 14 September.. I’m armed with an entire box of Snicker bars (48 in total), slightly out-of-date but thoroughly edible (I can vouch for that.) We're just giving them out with a simple message, 'This is our way of saying, ‘God loves you.' It sounds a bit trite, maybe, but it's touching hearts and isn't it good to just give things with no strings attached. We don't want anything; we're not selling anything. People are surprised, guards are dropped and some are genuinely thankful. 


The Olympic crowds have gone now and the square feels very large and rather empty; I notice a shadowy figure on the top of St Martin's steps, his sleeping bag spread out for the night across the top step. I introduce myself and find his name is Mark (it's in the Bible, you know, he proudly points out to me.) We get chatting and he tells me he's an agnostic with an open mind. 

I ask him, “What would convince you that God is real?” Quick comes his reply: “People being nice to each other, that would convince me. Here, in Trafalgar Square, you see it all, pickpockets stealing from tourists and other bad goings on but every now and again you see the opposite. It's not hard to be kind. If people are lost, I sometimes take them to their destinations – after all, I've got nothing else to do.” 


 “Scuse me,” says Mark after a few minutes, “I’d like to sleep now.” 


“Of course,” I say, “I’ll move on. Will you sleep? I mean, with the noise in Trafalgar Square, the sirens and endless traffic ...” 


“Depends what’s going on,” says Mark. “Not if someone kicks me or pees on me.” 


I tell Mark about the London Jesus Centre – he'd not heard about it and is very keen to go. He may even see what he's looking for there. “By this all men will know ...” (John 13:35) 


“See you then, Mark, here's a Snickers bar for you, no, let's make it two … and hope you sleep well ...” 

No comments: