Translate

Thursday 6 February 2014

Eric the Dog: A Lesson in Listening to God: For Matt


It was my turn to do Kids’ Spot again at Coventry Jesus Centre.
Volunteers: Matt (left) and Mark (right) 
After telling the following story, my friend Matt (who helps me set up on Mondays with his friend Mark) can't stop reminding me of it - he really liked it and stories aren't just for kids, you know. Anyway, this story is dedicated to him ... see picture, right.


I took a walk last Saturday to the beach, minding my own business of course but, you know, other people’s habits and ways are always very interesting and walking back from the sea I met a woman walking two dogs, a poodle and a limping, old retriever.


The poodle was following her nicely but, o dear, the retriever (Eric his name) decided about half-way along the route that it was time to go home. He turned and began walking back.


“Eric!” I heard her shout. “COME HERE! ERIC! ERIC-EE! 
ERIC–EE! COME HERE!” 

Eric stopped, turned and looked at her and then carried on walking in the opposite direction.


I heard her shout again, “ERIC! ERIC-EE! COME HERE!”


No chance.


In the end, the lady (and accompanying poodle) turned on her heels, abandoned her walk to the beach and returned to walk home with Eric. I captured some of this amusing scenario on my phone but, joking apart, I couldn’t help thinking it was my turn for kid’s spot next week and what a great illustration it was of the father-heart of God.


“MY PEOPLE! COME HERE!” He cries.  "I called you so often, but you wouldn't come. I reached out to you, but you paid no attention (Proverbs 1:24: New Living Translation).

Here and elsewhere in the Bible, is revealed the compassion, sadness, frustration and anger of God, all rolled into one. He calls, desperately; we hear but do not listen and walk our own way. 


The woman in my story turned around and followed; God too turns and walks towards us, not in weakness but in strength – in the form of His Son.


But hey, let’s not be like Eric: hearing and not listening, determined, perhaps in his weariness, to go His own way. 


The truth is, I can see something of myself in Eric. The going is easier when I'm full of enthusiasm and energy; if I'm tired or discouraged there are other 'voices', unhelpful ones, that are easier to hear; at times like this, there's a need to live near the Source, listen as best we can to what He is saying and find our energy in Him.


No comments: