Translate

Thursday 27 March 2014

In Praise of Volunteers, Your Learning, Coventry Jesus Centre

You’ve got to have a team if you really want to achieve most things in life and ours is a fine one:


Ann, the first to arrive
Monday morning ... Ann’s already here (we call her Ann-Lifted-Up as God lifts up the lowly). In fact, she’s been here since 6am and she’s no youngster; she was a cleaner in her working life and now she does it for free in her retirement. Seriously, she’s already been cleaning the loos, emptying the bins, generally making the place look smart.

Do you think it’s important? Unquestionably, yes. She’s gone by 8:30am but left her mark behind. We pray together as she goes and you know, I value her prayers highly
Matthew and Mark ... but no Luke and John
as she prays for God’s blessing on everyone that enters the Jesus Centre doors this Monday morning.


Then there’s Matt and Mark who come in at 8.00am. Matt’s already met me on the way and tells me he’s left his warm flat to come and assist. They do a great job of moving chairs and tables until the hall looks just fine, set up for the day’s classes and, meanwhile, I can get on with the photocopying. Yes, and I won't forget Pete, he's often here too.
Peter .. another noteworthy disciple

Then Jo and Betty appear. Now, they are
my assistants in the class and I couldn’t do without them. They just appear every week,  consistently, and obviously enjoy what they do; that helps. I always think, if we who lead enjoy our sessions and convey that enjoyment, the learners can’t fail to follow.

  Last of all Karen appears; she helps me in the afternoon session; she’s brilliant with the lads, flexible with a great sense of humour (definitely needed at times) and unfailing in her commitment. She’s great on the clearing up too: you know, those unwashed cups and boundless pieces of paper to tidy up; I’ve never learned to work in a tidy manner and spread out everywhere. Everyone like me needs a Karen. 
Betty and Jo

Yes, and the number is growing .... the Bablake girls, Sarah and Shirin are the most recent additions to the team!
Last but not least, Karen

John and James jostled to be first, forefront leaders. Jesus told them they’d got it all wrong. The most humble, the most servant-hearted are greatest in the kingdom of heaven. I think that of our volunteers.

No comments: