Translate

Thursday 2 May 2013

Three funerals, three women, all from different walks of life.

Yes, there’s been a spate of funerals …

First there was Tina. Yes, life was a struggle for Tina; she’d suffered serious mental health issues for much of her adult life and had been in and out of hospital many times. The weaknesses, however, seemed to have given room for God (now, that is scriptural) and I felt humbled for I had no idea that she had made such an impact on so many people. I mean that room, full of people, saying their goodbyes, was packed. She had loved many ... the tears spoke for themselves.


A few weeks before she died, Tina had made a vow of celibacy. I was there, in the room, while she made it; she was earnest, just wanting to live her life fully for Jesus because she loved Him and wanted to live it singly for Him.  We didn’t know …


Well, I didn’t receive a personal invitation to Margaret’s but watching on iplayer and leaving politics aside, I can’t help being a not-so-secret admirer of someone who had the humungous courage of their convictions -  and however did she climb through the ranks, battling with the enormous male prejudice that must have waged so heavily against her? She deserved a good send off, I reckon – and, as I said, leaving politics aside.


Gladys, 87, an old lady, struggling with bodily weaknesses and who, it appears, tried many things in life and sometimes seemed to fail: missionary work, book selling, church planting - but actually greatly succeeded in the things that really matter: ‘loving the brethren,’ loving the poor, prayerful, humble and glad service. Gladys, your funeral encouraged me; some things I’ve worked at for years have failed. For instance, I’ve spent 26 years of my life church planting/growing in Nottingham only for the scene to eventually fold. Looking at your life encourages me: I’d never say you failed at all because you won, hands down, on the eternal things that really matter.


Funerals can be awful but, in remembering, in learning from, in honouring and being grateful for the deceased, they can be brilliant occasions and one of God’s prime ways of getting through to us. Stopping still in the midst of our busy lives, time seems to stands on hold for a little while and carries a unique poignancy.  We need such times; speak to us, God.

No comments: