Translate

Sunday 4 December 2011

Don’t be sorry

One thing visitors at the Jesus centre love to ask is, ‘How many kids have you got?’ Well, I’m a respectable (fairly), grey-haired, middle-aged teacher and so it’s most likely I’m married to some respectable well-paid geyser and, anyway, I wear a silver ring on my left finger – perhaps a bit misleading. Well, this week it happened again, Monday in fact. Two Eritrean Christian refugees asked the old question: ‘How many kids have you got?’  ‘None, actually.’ …. embarrassed silence… me adding, ‘I’m not actually married either.’   ‘O I’m ..er ..er ..sorry..’ to have asked, they said. ‘Don’t be sorry,’ I said cheerfully and blurted out, perhaps a bit to my surprise, ‘I actually am a Christian celibate; this is the way I have chosen and I am very happy. I live a bit like, well ….you know, nuns and monks? .. A little bit like them.’

Maybe I should wear the ring on the other finger. Bygone days, less grey hair, you know, a few blokes just hanging in there, hoping in vain .. I did it for a little self protection but these things don’t happen so much as you get older (relief – there are advantages in age.) No, I think I’ll keep it on the left. Why not? And after all, what a great conversation point.

No comments: