Translate

Wednesday 14 December 2011

In from the cold

Minus 15 o. I remember it so well, the sub-zero night temperatures of last winter’s bitter spell; I remember, too, as I  lay back on my pillow, enjoying the luxury of a central-heated flat, how my thoughts dwelt on those I knew who were sleeping rough; how could they ever survive? One such man was a 60 year old Czech, Mikhail, (not his real name) who I knew was sleeping in a tent by the canal. Mercifully, at that time, after a short stay in hospital, the consultant had allowed him to stay a little longer when he heard where he was living.

It’s good news now, in fact, very good news. Mikhail has got a temporary home at least these days. More than that, he has turned from his atheism and decided to become a Christian. He was baptised last night – a really great occasion. God really can turn people’s lives around. I hope that he has not only come in from the winter’s cold; he has come in from the raw and isolating chill of loneliness and found the warmth of family, God’s family. After all, that’s our calling – love for Jesus – love for one another – love for those who God brings along our path – forging family – in short, to express the warmth, the drawing heat, of Jesus-love. If we get that right, well, things are looking up and I reckon we enjoy God’s smile.

No comments: