Translate

Friday 2 December 2011

Won't forget that smile

It’s only the second time it has happened in my ten year teaching life – one of our students has died. Jane (not her real name) came to ‘Your Learning’ at Coventry Jesus Centre to learn the computer – and she was really keen. She hardly said anything but her body language and the little smile that crept across her face from time to time told me she was enjoying herself. Her husband Rick (not his real name and also who very sadly died) told me she loved learning at the Jesus Centre because when she got home she made up for lost time and talked and talked about it.

When I heard Jane had died I set off walking on my own to reflect. Had the time I spent with her been a waste of time? No, no, of course not. Our lives only crossed for a short time – just like so many others in our busy lives. And yet, reflecting, I sensed that nothing, nothing is wasted if it is done for Jesus and for those who He described as ‘the least,’ the weakest, the most vulnerable, of His brethren – and I think that probably includes us all.

 Indeed, I believe, every act of Jesus-love is eternal; moments pass by and we forget, yet something eternal is ‘grown’ – wonderful, wonderful, eternal fruit. I’m not enjoying that now but, Rick and Jane, I know you are. What comfort!

No comments: